Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Haircuts

I never know how to react right after my wife gets a hair cut. Nearly 25 years of marriage has taught me that haircuts are always a risky subject. Maybe it is too short, maybe the shape is wrong, maybe the color isn't what she really wanted. There are too many possible problems. However, if she loves the haircut and I don't say how good it looks then I get told I never notice anything.

At work the risks are just as high with the added risk of what is really appropriate for a male to be saying to a female co-worker. I wouldn't think an innocent comment like, 'that's a cute haircut' could be considered harassment but I am not 100% sure that I can ever comment on how someone else looks in the workplace.

So I behave like a chicken in both situations and act as if I hadn't noticed.

Yesterday after work I got my hair cut.

The only comments I received today were variations on the "you got a haircut" theme. No one said it was cute, or made me look slimmer or younger, so either others play the chicken game also or it is really a bad haircut!



1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. It hits the truth in many angles. There are times that when I get a haircut, someone from work will say "nice haircut," even though I thought it looked terrible. So I was never sure if sarcasm was mixed-in their comment.

    ReplyDelete